Definition of aegis in English:
- As a quasi-governmental organization, it enjoys protection under the aegis of HM Government.
- These facilities are hidden in various ways, frequently coming under the aegis of innocuous organizations.
- That piece of evidence is the document produced under the aegis of the UN Security Council.
- Here the goddess wears her high-crested helmet, and a himation replaces her aegis over the peplos.
- Athena wears her high-crested Attic helmet, a colorful and embroidered peplos, and her aegis.
- That's why he let her use his insignia: the terrible shield, the aegis and his devastating weapon, the ray.
Early 17th century (denoting armor or a shield, especially that of a god): via Latin from Greek aigis 'shield of Zeus'.
An aegis was originally a piece of armour or a shield, especially that of a god. The word came into English via Latin from Greek aigis ‘shield of Zeus’. It is now often used in the phrase under the aegis of meaning ‘under the protection of’.
Words that rhyme with aegisundersurface • haggis
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.