A soft plant tissue containing air spaces, found especially in many aquatic plants.
- Oxygen transport from above-ground parts to roots of wetland plants is facilitated by aerenchyma.
- Fusoid cells are characteristically found only in bamboos, and have been considered as aerenchyma tissues.
- In waterlogged soils, plants strongly influence soil oxygen availability by transporting oxygen through aerenchyma to soils.
- Example sentences
- Multi-layered exodermis encircled the aerenchymatous cortex with air cavities.
- Aerenchyma and aerenchymatous adventitious roots are formed.
- Their roots are thus more open to aerenchymatous modification through secondary growth.
Late 19th century: from Greek aēr 'air' + enkhuma 'infusion'.
Definition of aerenchyma in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.