At or to a distance: our hero traveled afar for months he had loved her from afar
More example sentences
- Those who had travelled from afar were allowed to carry home their treasures.
- We drove fast, in case they thought to pull out their six-guns and drill us from afar.
- I'd intended to be mature and sedate and demure and just wistfully watch the young guests from afar.
Middle English of feor 'from far'.
Words that rhyme with afaraargh, Accra, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, moire, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
1 (plural same or Afars) A member of a people living in Djibouti, Eritrea, and Ethiopia.
- There are two major ethnic groups in Djibouti, the Afars (sometimes also called the Danakil) and the Somalis.
- Moreover, beginning in 1991, tensions between Afars and the Issa-dominated government resulted in an Afar rebellion.
- The Afars are mostly nomadic pastoralists whose grazing area extends from eastern and southern Eritrea into Ethiopia.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to the Afar or their language.
- Bribing his way by caravan over the wastelands of the Afar province, he is not amused by the locals.
- Ethiopian officials warned yesterday of an impending tragedy in the drought-stricken Afar region.
- Today, the region is the home of the semi-nomadic Afar people.
From Afar qafar.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.