Friendly, good-natured, or easy to talk to: an affable and agreeable companion
More example sentences
- I have met him several times and find him an affable and friendly person, and a joy to talk politics with.
- Usually Eddington is the most affable of colleagues, friendly and very approachable.
- Johnny had a warm and affable personality and was renowned as a hard worker.
friendly, amiable, genial, congenial, cordial, warm, pleasant, nice, likable, personable, charming, agreeable, sympathetic, simpatico, good-humored, good-natured, jolly, kindly, kind, courteous, civil, gracious, approachable, accessible, amenable, sociable, hail-fellow-well-met, outgoing, gregarious, neighborly
- Example sentences
- A business suit-clad man then greets them, shakes hands affably and makes them sit in comfortable chairs.
- He concurred affably, puckering his lips in thought as he pondered over the last decade's adventures.
- At first the driver and his Arab passengers chat affably enough, chatting loudly over the blaring radio.
Late Middle English: via Old French from Latin affabilis, from the verb affari, from ad- 'to' + fari 'speak'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.