Definition of affix in English:
Pronunciation: /əˈfiks/[with object]
Stick, attach, or fasten (something) to something else: he licked the stamp and affixed it to the envelope
More example sentences
- Make sure your copyright notice is affixed to copies in such manner and location as to give reasonable notice of your copyright.
- Once the border on the wood is engraved, a fine cotton canvas is affixed to the wood with rabbit skin glue - a binding agent that is soaked in water overnight and then heated.
- At least one fastener affixes the mounting bracket and component to the chassis.
Pronunciation: /ˈaˌfiks/Grammar Back to top
An additional element placed at the beginning or end of a root, stem, or word, or in the body of a word, to modify its meaning. See also infix, prefix, suffix.
- Languages that work like this, where whole phrases or clauses can be formed in one word by attaching affixes to noun stems or verbs, are called polysynthetic.
- We usually have in mind a system where a stem is combined with various affixes, which might be prefixes, suffixes, or infixes.
- The experimenters pronounced the affixes and bases in the blending part and the complex words in the segmentation part.
- Example sentences
- Newspapers - even the venerable New York Times - printed flags across entire back pages for affixation to windows.
- Root and pattern affixation is considered nonlinear since neither of the two morphological components appears in continuous form; rather, they are interdigitated within each other.
- That is, the traditional concept of witnessing the affixation of a traditional signature reduces the incidence of forged signatures.
Words that rhyme with affixadmix, commix, fix, Hicks, intermix, MI6, mix, nix, Nyx, pix, Pnyx, prix fixe, pyx, Ricks, six, Styx, transfix, Wicks
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan