Definition of afforest in English:
Convert (land) into forest, especially for commercial use.
- They may sequester carbon through ecosystem restoration, reforestation, agro-forestry, and afforestation; or they may develop substitutes for fossil fuels such as bioenergy projects.
- He argued that afforestation and expansion of forests might therefore even increase climate warming.
- Environmental monitoring in the catchment assesses fresh water impacts on the survival of juveniles including issues such as afforestation, overgrazing and climate change.
- Example sentences
- Like their attempts to afforest treeless subalpine meadows, they planted forage species that had never grown in these mountains.
- The area afforested would be close to 2,000 acres.
- The afforested area can be increased by around 300 000 ha.
Early 16th century: from medieval Latin afforestare, from ad- 'to' (expressing change) + foresta 'forest'.
Words that rhyme with afforestflorist, forest, Forrest
Definition of afforest in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.