Definition of afforest in English:
Convert (land) into forest, especially for commercial use.
- They may sequester carbon through ecosystem restoration, reforestation, agro-forestry, and afforestation; or they may develop substitutes for fossil fuels such as bioenergy projects.
- He argued that afforestation and expansion of forests might therefore even increase climate warming.
- Environmental monitoring in the catchment assesses fresh water impacts on the survival of juveniles including issues such as afforestation, overgrazing and climate change.
early 16th century: from medieval Latin afforestare, from ad- 'to' (expressing change) + foresta 'forest'.
- Example sentences
- Like their attempts to afforest treeless subalpine meadows, they planted forage species that had never grown in these mountains.
- The area afforested would be close to 2,000 acres.
- The afforested area can be increased by around 300 000 ha.
Pronunciation: /əˌfôrəˈstāSHən, əˌfär- /noun
Definition of afforest in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia