Definition of African in English:
1A person from Africa, especially a black person.
- Meanwhile, more black African slaves were owned by black Africans than white Americans.
- It is a blend of customs of the Amerindians, the Africans, the East Indians and the Europeans.
- Prices paid by Africans to Africans were only infrequently recorded.
adjectiveBack to top
Of or relating to Africa or people of African descent.
- The men, all of North African descent, were dressed casually and appeared in the dock with two interpreters.
- The disease is more common in men of African descent, and those aged over 60.
- On board were two men of African descent who had stowed away on the ship.
From Latin Africanus, from Africa (terra) '(land) of the Afri', an ancient people of North Africa.
Definition of African in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.