A South African plant of the lily family, with funnel-shaped bluish flowers that grow in rounded clusters. Also called lily-of-the-Nile.
- Genus Agapanthus, family Liliaceae (or Alliaceae)
More example sentences
- A romantic 15-acre garden with a Saxon mound planted with yuccas, agapanthus, lilies, hosta and geraniums, dry moat, poplar avenue, yew hedges and terraces leading to riverside walks.
- For especially dramatic container plants, try the summer flower bulbs, for starters: tuberose, oxalis, agapanthus, cannas, begonias, dahlias, caladiums, lilies, or elephant ears.
- Tall spring bloomers that stand on their own and that are easy to grow are agapanthus, alliums, blood lilies, and African irises.
modern Latin, from Greek agapē 'love' + anthos 'flower'.
More definitions of agapanthusDefinition of agapanthus in:
- The British & World English dictionary