1Undergo great mental anguish through worrying about something: I didn’t agonize over the problem
More example sentences
- Back in my day, we didn't worry about self-esteem or agonize over feelings.
- I obsess over it, agonize over it, ruminate over it.
- For all he agonised and fretted, he never fell apart.
1.1 [with object] Cause mental anguish to (someone).
- So I was agonized by their fear and insecurity - the backlash.
- This is not to say that he was not agonized by risky decisions he needed to make with regard to his career as a sage.
- Viewers in those days were agonized by his notion of justice and fair play!
Late 16th century: from French agoniser or late Latin agonizare, from Greek agōnizesthai 'contend', from agōn 'contest'.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.