Definition of agriculture in English:
- Success in obtaining the required output of food from agriculture depends on soil fertility.
- Essentially this ditches almost all animal agriculture except for beef and dairy products.
- They have opened the way to a new phase in the history of agriculture, animal breeding and husbandry.
late Middle English: from Latin agricultura, from ager, agr- 'field' + cultura 'growing, cultivation'.
air from (Middle English):
1 The main modern sense of air, ‘the invisible gaseous substance surrounding the earth’ entered English via Old French and Latin from Greek aēr. Aerial (late 16th century), meaning ‘a rod or wire by which signals are transmitted or received’ and ‘existing or happening in the air’, comes from the same source, along with the Italian word aria (early 18th century). Aerobic (late 19th century) is from aēr combined with Greek bios ‘live’.
2 The senses of air ‘an impression or manner’ and ‘a condescending manner’ (as in she gave herself airs) are probably from a completely different word, Old French aire ‘site, disposition’, which derives from Latin ager ‘field’, the root of English words such as agriculture (Late Middle English). Airy-fairy (mid 19th century) ‘impractical and foolishly idealistic’, was originally used to mean ‘delicate or light as a fairy’. The English poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson ( 1809–1892), in his poem ‘Lilian’ ( 1830), described the subject as ‘Airy, fairy Lilian, Flitting, fairy Lilian’. See also gas
- Example sentences
- Around the middle of the eighteenth century, the breeding of livestock was dramatically changed by Robert Bakewell, an English agriculturist.
- At North Dakota, as at Minnesota, he was the first professor of agriculture and agriculturist for the agricultural experiment station.
- It should have major appeal to practicing agriculturists, agricultural advisors, land managers and students of agricultural science, especially upperclassmen.
Words that rhyme with agriculturesericulture
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.