Definition of ahoy in English:
A call used in hailing: ahoy there! ship ahoy!
More example sentences
- We didn't know what it was going to be like when we started, but as we got into it, more and more people, all the emails I get now instead of hi Peter, it's ahoy!
- The ref blows for full time - golden goal or penalties ahoy!
- It will be ship ahoy for the brave mum-of-two Marie next Tuesday as she takes up the Cabin Fever challenge on board a 90 ft Schooner ship.
- An exclamation announcing the sighting of land from a ship.Example sentences
- From high above the voice of a man hollered, ‘Land ahoy!’
- Tempted by the memories of too many pirate movies as a kid, I shout, only a little maliciously, ‘Land ahoy!’
- I am woken from my dreams as the lookout guards shout Land Ahoy! Britain is in sight.
Definition of ahoy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan