Definition of ailurophobia in English:
Extreme or irrational fear of cats.
- Like all fears and phobias, ailurophobia is created by the unconscious mind as a protective mechanism.
- Cats have been endowed with a magical ability to detect the overweening ambitions of dictators, many of whom have consequently been accused of ailurophobia on the flimsiest evidence.
- I have never heard of ailurophobia.
- Example sentences
- The bad news for ailurophobes is that cats seem to be drawn to people who don't like them.
- He always enjoyed visiting with Regent, but admitted, just recently, that he's also an ailurophobe.
- Julius Caesar, Hitler and Mussolini were said to be ailurophobes.
Pronunciation: /īˈlo͝orəˌfōb, āˈlo͝or-/noun
Definition of ailurophobia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan