Definition of air cushion in English:
1An inflatable cushion.
- The firefighters brought in one large air cushion and a small one as well.
- When the boyfriend arrived shortly after 10 am, Moon jumped, landing beside an air cushion inflated by police.
- The seat is fitted with a number of air cushions, which inflate or deflate automatically to adjust to the current driving situation.
2The layer of air supporting a hovercraft or similar vehicle.
- The hovercraft had an air cushion under them that could be easily ruptured.
- The hovercraft, or air cushion vehicle, was patented by British engineer Christopher Cockerell.
- When the air cushion is strong enough, the operator steps onto the hovercraft platform and waits a few seconds until the air cushion becomes powerful enough to cause uniform levitation.
Definition of air cushion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.