Definition of air cushion in English:
1An inflatable cushion.
- The firefighters brought in one large air cushion and a small one as well.
- When the boyfriend arrived shortly after 10 am, Moon jumped, landing beside an air cushion inflated by police.
- The seat is fitted with a number of air cushions, which inflate or deflate automatically to adjust to the current driving situation.
2The layer of air supporting a hovercraft or similar vehicle.
- The hovercraft had an air cushion under them that could be easily ruptured.
- The hovercraft, or air cushion vehicle, was patented by British engineer Christopher Cockerell.
- When the air cushion is strong enough, the operator steps onto the hovercraft platform and waits a few seconds until the air cushion becomes powerful enough to cause uniform levitation.
Definition of air cushion in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan