- A typically epiphytic, sometimes rootless, tropical American plant with grasslike or fingerlike leaves through which water and airborne or waterborne nutrients are absorbed.
More example sentences
- Genus Tillandsia, family Bromeliaceae: several species, including Spanish moss
- Apart from Spanish moss, epiphytic bromeliads include ball moss, Schultes northern needleleaf (with curved leaves) and southern needleleaf, and the rare spreading air plant.
- The reason you can is that most popular cultivated orchids are epiphytes, or air plants, which most often grow on trees or the surfaces of rocks.
- At the summits and on the western side, where high winds and cooler temperatures make growing conditions most severe, is a so-called elfin forest comprising dwarf, gnarly trees draped with epiphytes, or air plants, including orchids.
More definitions of air plantDefinition of air plant in:
- The British & World English dictionary