Definition of airdrome in English:
- The airdrome was a dirt strip almost within the city; one end of the short strip was 70-ft higher than the other end, so we always took off downhill and landed uphill.
- Sometimes an airdrome or river might be misplaced but not difficult to sort out.
- The money being offered by English agents who toured Ireland during 1940-42 recruiting labour for the airdromes proved very attractive, particularly as they also paid expenses to the workers to get to their destinations.
1.1A military air base.
- One morning the whole group was summoned to a special intelligence briefing and told that no aircraft were to take off that day and that the airdrome anti-aircraft defenses would not fire at enemy aircraft that might appear!
- I returned to the airdrome and was fired at by ground batteries.
- On 14 October, a few days after Naples fell, we moved to the big airdrome at Pomigliano at the foot of Mt. Vesuvius, about 10-km east of Naples.
Definition of airdrome in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan