Definition of airman in English:
noun (plural airmen)
1A pilot or member of the crew of an aircraft, especially in an air force.
- It's the level of organization where Air Force pilots and airmen feel they're part of the same unit.
- Often as not the rest of the crew could be split to form the nucleus of a new crew, or more likely, they could be whisked away individually to fly with other crews as replacements for airmen who had been killed or wounded.
- Some 640 airmen and ground crew are joining the aircraft.
1.1A member of the US Air Force of the lowest rank, below sergeant.
- If it doesn't get the volunteers to fill a growing need for recruiters, the Air Force will select airmen from other jobs to fill slots.
- I do this not to demean the contributions of the Air Force or its airmen.
- If you're at least a senior airman with three years' Air Force experience, you can submit a package.
1.2A member of the US Navy whose general duties are concerned with aircraft.
- Plane captains usually are undesignated Navy airmen, meaning they haven't picked a rate or occupation specialty.
- A recruit can easily become a fireman in engineering on a frigate or just as easily direct aircraft on a carrier as an airman.
- The airman notified a tech sergeant, who then opened a panel to check the hydraulic leak.
Definition of airman in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan