Definition of airtight in English:
1Not allowing air to escape or pass through.
- Most modern stoves are airtight and allow the amount of combustion air that feeds the flame to be controlled.
- A small airtight box divided into sections with strips of cardboard is ideal.
- The foil is there largely for aesthetic reasons since the cork should provide an airtight seal and only a faulty one will allow any seepage of wine.
sealed, hermetically sealed, closed tight, shut tight
1.1Having no weaknesses; unassailable: Scamp had an airtight alibi
More example sentences
- He had pulled off a big score recently, and with an airtight alibi he'd actually paid a couple of women to accompany him to Ibiza for a wild week while the heat died down.
- Illingworth siblings do not exude that air; certainly Duke has motives for crime, though his alibi seems airtight.
- You cannot have airtight, foolproof countermeasures that would prevent incidents of kidnapping like this.
Words that rhyme with airtighttransvestite • Hittite
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.