adjective (airier, airiest)
- 1(Of a room or building) spacious, well lit, and well ventilated.More example sentences
- The old ginger wine storage facility has been divided into spacious, airy rooms with stylish features such as Spanish wood doors and window frames and brightly coloured original beams.
- Original - featured cave, real mud floors, open fire, bright airy rooms and fantastic views.
- The room is light, airy, spacious and bright with sweeping stairs leading up to the lounge [Lounge] area.
- 1.1Delicate, as though filled with or made of air: airy cloudsMore example sentences
- A fine, floating, airy thing they called cloud.
- Sea-urchin roe also accompanies refreshing slices of hamachi, their airy delicacy highlighted by a spry sprinkling of sour-plum vinaigrette.
- The first thing you notice in the garden centre is the delicate, airy foliage.
- 1.2Giving an impression of light gracefulness and elegance: her airy presence filled the houseMore example sentences
- They have an airy grace and elegance that, to me, symbolises all that is beautiful about oriental gardens.
- The production features dance and live music played by the company, a genuine Broadway fortepiano and sumptuous period costumes, all presented within a light and airy set.
- Amos has kept the tracks light and airy, enhancing the always-attractive melodies with carefully layered vocal arrangements and often applying an arresting twist of processed funkiness.
- 2Giving an impression of being unconcerned or not serious, typically about something taken seriously by others: her airy unconcern for economyMore example sentences
nonchalant, casual, breezy, flippant, insouciant, heedless
- Its driver, insouciant about having one more dent to add to the several he had already accumulated, waved an airy palm of instant forgiveness.
- But I can say with a good conscience and an airy wave of the hand that if you have a different opinion we can all just try our best and in time the truth will emerge.
- I commanded, gesturing him forward with an airy wave of my arm.
- More example sentences
- The overall effect is spare, spacious, uncluttered corners and a dim airiness suggesting not a vacuum but the unchallenged resilience of colonial attitudes, the finality of officialdom.
- The installation is a combination of airiness and heaviness; the wadding is associated with warmth and the lead buttons with weight.
- It has big, deep glazing, because that provides greater airiness and a better view.