Definition of akebia in English:
A climbing shrub with purplish flowers, deeply divided leaves, and purple berries. Native to eastern Asia, it is grown as an ornamental in North America.
- Akebia quinata, family Lardizabalaceae
- Fiveleaf akebia is a vigorous vine that grows as a groundcover and climbs shrubs and trees by twining.
- This one is now busily threading its way through the established akebia, sharing the same arbor.
- Fiveleaf akebia is deciduous in cooler climates but may remain evergreen in the warmer regions, such as Louisiana.
1837: modern Latin, coined by J. Decaisne, French botanist, from Japanese akebi.
Definition of akebia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.