1A tropical tree that is cultivated for its fruit. Native to West Africa, it has been introduced into the West Indies and elsewhere.
- Blighia sapida, family Sapindaceae
- Using flashlights to look outside, it seems as if part of the ackee tree has fallen down.
- Fond d' Or is a lush green wooded area with coconut trees, mangrove wetlands, wild sea grapes and ackee, known locally as zecak.
1.1The fruit of the akee, widely eaten as a vegetable, but which can be poisonous unless cooked.
- A Sunday brunch/feast of sausage & beans, ackee & saltfish and garlic crabs was put on and they had me licking my fingers and dying for more.
- The national dish in Jamaica is ackee and saltfish, but curried goat and rice, and fried fish and barnrny (a flat, baked cassava bread) are just as popular and delicious.
- You can also get your saltfish with ackee, a combo referred to as Jamaica's national dish.
Late 18th century: from Kru ākee.
Definition of akee in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.