- The Arabic term for the events of 1948, when many Palestinians were displaced from their homeland by the creation of the new state of Israel.More example sentences
- For Arabs generally, the war is al-Nakba - the catastrophe.
- May 15, 1948 is the day of independence for the Jews, but the same day is al-Nakba, the catastrophe, for the Palestinians.
- Independence Day for Israel is known as al-Nakba, or the "catastrophe," for Arabs.
from Arabic, literally 'the disaster'.
More definitions of al-NakbaDefinition of al-Nakba in:
- The British & World English dictionary