(also Alawite /ˈaləwīt/)
noun (plural Alawis)
A member of a Shiite Muslim group living mainly in Syria.
- There are five Muslim sects in Lebanon: Sunnis, Shi'is, Druze, Alawis, and Ismailis.
- Mr. Hadimogullari is an Alawite whose grandparents found themselves Turkish citizens when his hometown, Samandag, formerly part of Syria, was ceded to Turkey in 1923.
- "We are about 50,000 Alawites," he said.
Relating to or denoting the Alawis.
- Tripoli is home to many members of Lebanon's small Alawite minority population.
- He was a member of the small Alawite Shi'ite community in a country of predominantly Sunni Muslims.
- It is a Sunni town with an Alawite town less than a mile to the south, interspersed with Christian and more Sunni settlements.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Alawi in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.