- Alternative names: ethanol, ethyl alcohol; chemical formula: C2H5OH
- Sugar is taken and in the presence of an enzyme (a biological catalyst) ethyl alcohol and carbon dioxide are produced.
- Fermentation The conversion of sugar in grape juice into ethyl alcohol and carbon dioxide.
- an important measurement of any wine, is its concentration of the intoxicant ethyl alcohol, or ethanol.
- He said that among the tenets of the Muslim faith were that one did not drink alcohol or serve it to guests.
- If he could have stopped at one or two drinks, alcohol would have served him well, but he couldn't do that.
- If you are using alcohol, vodka is the most appropriate as it has no scent of its own.
- Complete combustion of alcohols produces carbon dioxide and water.
- Thermatoga microorganisms are known to play a role in the anaerobic oxidation of hydrocarbons to alcohols, organic acids and carbon dioxide.
- On the other hand, the permeability of the membrane for small uncharged solutes such as low molecular weight alcohols, amides, ketones etc., did not change.
mid 16th century: French (earlier form of alcool), or from medieval Latin, from Arabic al-kuḥl 'the kohl'. In early use the term denoted powders, specifically kohl, and especially those obtained by sublimation; later 'a distilled or rectified spirit' (mid 17th century).