Definition of alcohol in English:
1A colorless volatile flammable liquid that is the intoxicating constituent of wine, beer, spirits, and other drinks, and is also used as an industrial solvent and as fuel.
- Sugar is taken and in the presence of an enzyme (a biological catalyst) ethyl alcohol and carbon dioxide are produced.
- Fermentation The conversion of sugar in grape juice into ethyl alcohol and carbon dioxide.
- an important measurement of any wine, is its concentration of the intoxicant ethyl alcohol, or ethanol.
1.1Drink containing this: he has not taken alcohol in twenty-five years
More example sentences
- He said that among the tenets of the Muslim faith were that one did not drink alcohol or serve it to guests.
- If he could have stopped at one or two drinks, alcohol would have served him well, but he couldn't do that.
- If you are using alcohol, vodka is the most appropriate as it has no scent of its own.
1.2 Chemistry Any organic compound whose molecule contains one or more hydroxyl groups attached to a carbon atom.
- Complete combustion of alcohols produces carbon dioxide and water.
- Thermatoga microorganisms are known to play a role in the anaerobic oxidation of hydrocarbons to alcohols, organic acids and carbon dioxide.
- On the other hand, the permeability of the membrane for small uncharged solutes such as low molecular weight alcohols, amides, ketones etc., did not change.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan