(also alder fly)
Definition of alderfly in English:
noun (plural alderflies)
A brownish flylike insect that lives near water and has predatory aquatic larvae.
- Family Sialidae, order Neuroptera: several genera
- Larvae of alderflies differ from hellgrammites in that they lack the two hooks at the end of the abdomen.
- This is a very small order of Australian insects commonly known as alderflies and dobsonflies.
- The alderfly larvae, known to all and coveted by fish and anglers alike, is the hellgrammite.
Definition of alderfly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan