- A cypress tree that is valued for its timber.
More example sentences
- Several species in the family Cupressaceae, in particular the sandarac tree (Tetraclinis articulata) of southern Spain and northwestern Africa, from which the resin sandarac is obtained
- The Edenic Río Manso Valley, at the southern tip of South America, is pure Patagonia - high, open country surrounded by ancient alerce forests (think redwoods) and populated by gauchos and trout.
- Although the alerce (larch) is the dominant tree, the park also has other species.
- The alerce is unique to the coastal temperate rainforests of southern Chile and the mountains of western Argentina.
mid 19th century: from Spanish, 'larch'.
More definitions of alerceDefinition of alerce in:
- The British & World English dictionary