- A newly spawned salmon or trout still carrying the yolk.More example sentences
- The newly hatched salmon, called ‘alevins,’ remain in rapid water until they are about 65 mm long.
- In mid spring, after the larval fish has absorbed its yolk sac, it emerges as an alevin and proceeds to find suitable habitat for the summer period.
- After 90-150 days (depending on temperature) the eggs hatch, and the alevins (fry with yolksacs attached to the underside) stay in the gravel until the yolksac is used up.
mid 19th century: from Old French, based on Latin allevare 'raise up'.
More definitions of alevinDefinition of alevin in:
- The British & World English dictionary