Definition of aliasing in English:
1 Physics & Telecommunications The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error.
- Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.
- Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.
- Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.
2 Computing In computer graphics, the jagged, or saw-toothed appearance of curved or diagonal lines on a low-resolution monitor.
- Standard-definition content looks good, but brings with it the usual artifacts: noise, line aliasing, and occasional interlacing.
- The only real complaint I have about the graphics is the game's aliasing and flicker.
- The worst spots are not that frequent, but the edge enhancement and aliasing are bad enough by themselves to spoil things.
Definition of aliasing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan