Definition of aliasing in English:
1 Physics & Telecommunications The misidentification of a signal frequency, introducing distortion or error.
- Analog signals are usually low-pass filtered to remove most or all of the components above the Nyquist frequency in order to avoid aliasing.
- Optical signals were low-pass filtered at 500 Hz to prevent aliasing.
- Any component of a sampled signal with a frequency above this limit is subject to aliasing.
2 Computing In computer graphics, the jagged, or saw-toothed appearance of curved or diagonal lines on a low-resolution monitor.
- Standard-definition content looks good, but brings with it the usual artifacts: noise, line aliasing, and occasional interlacing.
- The only real complaint I have about the graphics is the game's aliasing and flicker.
- The worst spots are not that frequent, but the edge enhancement and aliasing are bad enough by themselves to spoil things.
Definition of aliasing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.