- A sighting device or pointer for determining directions or measuring angles, used in surveying and (formerly) astronomy.More example sentences
- A pointer, called an alidade, was pivoted at the centre of the disk.
- A wide variety of alidades and plane tables are available, both in manual and electronic versions.
- In the circle an index on the alidades gives the angle that they form with the vertical diameter.
late Middle English: directly or (in modern use) via French and Spanish from Arabic al- ‘iḍāda 'the revolving radius', probably based on ‘aḍud 'upper arm'.
More definitions of alidadeDefinition of alidade in:
- The British & World English dictionary