Definition of aliphatic in English:
Relating to or denoting organic compounds in which carbon atoms form open chains (as in the alkanes), not aromatic rings. Compare with alicyclic.
- For example, alkyl groups can be introduced into aliphatic hydrocarbons or aromatic hydrocarbons by alkylation reactions.
- These included formaldehyde, several other aldehydes, ketones, aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons, glycol ethers, organic acids, and alcohols.
- Aromatic and aliphatic polyurethanes share the following properties that make them suitable for use in medical devices.
noun(usually aliphatics) Back to top
An aliphatic compound.
- The characteristic that distinguishes benzene from the aliphatics and alicyclics, and that defines the aromatics, is the arrangement of electrons in the ring.
- Pesticide organochlorines are diphenyl aliphatics previously used to control insect vector infections.
- Aliphatics are our company's range of hydrocarbon fluids including specialty brands.
Definition of aliphatic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.