Definition of alizarin in English:
1A red pigment present in madder root, used in dyeing.
- Indigo is now derived from naphthalene, and anthracene yields alizarin, the dye formerly obtained from madder root.
- The synthesis of alizarin stands as a landmark in molecule making for two reasons.
- Red lakes made from synthetic alizarin became common alongside the lakes derived from natural madder dyes.
1.1 [as modifier] Denoting dyes derived from or similar to alizarin: alizarin crimson
More example sentences
- These works combined several shades of white paint in built-up layers of greasy petal-like strokes that were punctuated with dots of ultramarine or alizarin crimson.
- His palette drew from nature: heavy, dense ochers, browns, taupes and alizarin crimson.
- The left side of this work is mysterious, with black marks floating on a field of alizarin crimson.
Definition of alizarin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan