- The hypothetical universal solvent sought by alchemists.More example sentences
- The philosopher's stone, the alcahest and the elixir were names of one and the same thing, and were supposed to accomplish an identical operation.
- Alizarin is an orange or red crystalline compound and alkahest is the universal solvent believed by alchemists to exist.
- A paradox involving alkahest is that, if it dissolves everything, then it cannot be placed into a container, because it would dissolve the container.
mid 17th century: sham Arabic, probably invented by Paracelsus.
More definitions of alkahestDefinition of alkahest in:
- The British & World English dictionary