(also alkalinize /ˈalkəliˌnīz/)
verb[with object] (usually as adjective alkalized or alkalizing)
Treat with alkali.
- Malate alkalizes xylem sap to a greater extent than nitrate.
- Alkalaemia suppresses renal ammoniagenesis, but the hydrolysis of urea by bacteria liberates ammonia that alkalises urine.
- The decrease is minimal with lightly alkalized cocoa powder, but with strongly alkalized powder, the gel strength is significantly reduced.
- Example sentences
- The odor results from the liberation of amines and organic acids produced from the alkalization of anaerobic bacteria.
- Alkalization brings out a stronger taste and a brighter color, but there is a point at which you want to stop on the degree of alkalization.
- It is important to choose a cocoa powder with an alkalization that will help keep the product's pH close to that of milk, around 7.0.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of alkalize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.