Definition of alkyne in English:
Any of the series of unsaturated hydrocarbons containing a triple bond, including acetylene.
- Alkynes have the general formula: CnH2n-2
- Alkanes (sometimes called paraffins) have only single bonds, while alkenes (sometimes called olefins) have a carbon-carbon double bond, and alkynes have a carbon-carbon triple bond.
- Originally the alkynes were called the acetylenes.
- The alkyne functional group is the carbon-carbon triple bond.
Definition of alkyne in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.