1Diminish or put at rest (fear, suspicion, or worry): the report attempted to educate the public and allay fears
More example sentences
- The President and his family, in an attempt to allay public fears, got shots on prime-time television.
- So the industry was co-funding a £7 million research programme to try to allay public fears.
- Fearful of being accused of complacency, they fail to allay public fears and often play up hypothetical risks.
reduce, diminish, decrease, lessen, assuage, alleviate, ease, relieve, soothe, soften, calm, take the edge off
1.1Relieve or alleviate (pain or hunger): some stale figs partly allayed our hunger
More example sentences
- Our long association has taught me that confiding in others allays pain.
- It allays a feverish thirst that had parched me for many days.
- Rahul did not look at Sanjeet as he wielded the leather crop, but shut his eyes and rolled his head from side to side, slack-mouthed, pain allayed.
Old English ālecgan 'lay down or aside'.
Words that rhyme with allayaffray, agley, aka, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.