One of two or more alternative forms of a gene that arise by mutation and are found at the same place on a chromosome. Also called allelomorph.
More example sentences
- This result is consistent with the idea that the five members of the group are alleles of the same gene.
- These genes have multiple alleles and are expressed either in the stigma or in the pollen.
- We have no two plant lines that are identical for all alleles of genes yet differ appreciably for genome size.
- More example sentences
- If the two genes carry different alleles, then the allelic genealogy states only that they are different.
- Positions are defined independently of the allelic states of the genes that reside there.
- In contrast to the human situation this gene displays reduced allelic variation.
Pronunciation: /əˈlēlik, əˈlel-/adjective
Definition of allele in:
- The British & World English dictionary