Definition of allele in English:
One of two or more alternative forms of a gene that arise by mutation and are found at the same place on a chromosome. Also called allelomorph.
- This result is consistent with the idea that the five members of the group are alleles of the same gene.
- These genes have multiple alleles and are expressed either in the stigma or in the pollen.
- We have no two plant lines that are identical for all alleles of genes yet differ appreciably for genome size.
- Example sentences
- If the two genes carry different alleles, then the allelic genealogy states only that they are different.
- Positions are defined independently of the allelic states of the genes that reside there.
- In contrast to the human situation this gene displays reduced allelic variation.
Pronunciation: /əˈlēlik, əˈlel-/adjective
Words that rhyme with alleleanele, anneal, appeal, Bastille, Beale, Castile, chenille, cochineal, cockatiel, conceal, congeal, creel, deal, eel, Emile, feel, freewheel, genteel, Guayaquil, heal, heel, he'll, keel, Kiel, kneel, leal, Lille, Lucille, manchineel, meal, misdeal, Neil, O'Neill, ordeal, peal, peel, reel, schlemiel, seal, seel, she'll, spiel, squeal, steal, steel, Steele, teal, underseal, veal, weal, we'll, wheel, zeal
Definition of allele in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia