Definition of allelomorph in English:
Another term for allele.
- Most of our discussions center around a simple case in which the loci are modeled as diploid with two possible allelomorphs.
- ‘Heterozygous’ means having two different allelomorphs in the two corresponding loci of a pair of chromosomes.
- We do not know at the moment what processes are primarily affected by the allelomorphs.
early 20th century: from Greek allēl- 'one another' + morphē 'form'.
- Example sentences
- The whole explanation fails unless some added agency be devised to take over the duty which the specific allelomorphic forces abandon after the occurrence of crossing over.
- By this we mean that a certain total number of distinctive genes or allelomorphic factors constitute the complexity of the many kinds of plants and animals.
- It was 25 years before these groups were shown to be inherited as Mendelian characters by means of three allelomorphic genes A, B and O and were, in fact, entities of one blood group system.
Definition of allelomorph in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan