noun(also alley-oop pass) Basketball Back to top
- A high pass caught by a leaping teammate who tries to dunk the ball before landing.More example sentences
- Team USA threw a couple of balls away with ill-conceived alley-oops, missed a few wide-open jumpers and blew a couple of defensive assignments.
- Her new abilities allow her to play basketball like nobody's business, complete with slam dunks and alley-oops off concrete urban walls.
- Sadly, the only time I really enjoyed the game experience was when I teamed up with my son to see how many sweet dunks and alley-oops we could pull off.
early 20th century: perhaps from French allez! 'go on!' (expressing encouragement) + a supposedly French pronunciation of up.
More definitions of alley-oopDefinition of alley-oop in:
- The British & World English dictionary