(also alligator snapper)
Definition of alligator snapping turtle in English:
A large-headed, long-tailed snapping turtle of the southeastern US, found especially in the Gulf States. Weighing up to 150 pounds (67.5 kg), it is the largest freshwater turtle in North America.
- Macroclemys temminckii, family Chelydridae
- Historical records show alligator snappers up to 300 pounds have been captured in Georgia and Florida.
- When submerged on the bottom of a river, it is easy to mistake the alligator snapper for a pile of rocks.
- You can keep other species of turtles with alligator snappers provided they are the same size.
Definition of alligator snapping turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.