(also alligator snapper)
Definition of alligator snapping turtle in English:
A large-headed, long-tailed snapping turtle of the southeastern US, found especially in the Gulf States. Weighing up to 150 pounds (67.5 kg), it is the largest freshwater turtle in North America.
- Macroclemys temminckii, family Chelydridae
- Historical records show alligator snappers up to 300 pounds have been captured in Georgia and Florida.
- When submerged on the bottom of a river, it is easy to mistake the alligator snapper for a pile of rocks.
- You can keep other species of turtles with alligator snappers provided they are the same size.
Definition of alligator snapping turtle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India