Definition of allogenic in English:
1 Geology (Of a mineral or sediment) transported to its present position from elsewhere. Often contrasted with authigenic.
- It is accompanied by homogenous, allogenic micrite that fills some voids.
- Lying in the northwest of the Forest of Dean, UK, the Slaughter Rising is a major resurgence, fed by a web of allogenic inputs and background autogenic drainage east of the River Wye.
2 Ecology (Of a successional change) caused by nonliving factors in the environment.
- Over time-scales relevant to the later stages of mire succession, allogenic forcing factors are significant and may be responsible for driving the direction and rate of species turnover.
- Our study supports the hypothesis of allogenic coexistence of American beech and sugar maple in Warren Woods.
Definition of allogenic in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan