Definition of allograph in English:
1Each of two or more alternative forms of a letter of an alphabet or other grapheme. The capital, lowercase, italic, and various handwritten forms of the letter A are allographs.
- Sign names and values with modifiers and/or allographs following them should not be be treated as compounds.
- Yet there is another level of meaning that changes with each allograph, an esthetic meaning that we cannot avoid.
- This paper presents an original method for creating allograph models and recognizing them within cursive handwriting.
1.1 Phonetics Each of two or more letters or letter combinations representing a single phoneme in different words. Allographs of the phoneme f include the (f) of “fake” and the (ph) of “phase.”.
- In addition, because a letter may appear in allographs which encode respectively different phonemes, the user is taught alternative sounds that the selected letter may represent.
Definition of allograph in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.