- A climber of high mountains, especially in the Alps.More example sentences
- Operating without adequate fuel reserves was one of the issues that put these four alpinists in trouble.
- Still, although these preclimb climbing trips have honed many an alpinist's mental acuity, mountain acumen, and technical skill, they are usually too short to effectively jump-start physiological acclimatization.
- I'd asked Mark Twight to be my partner because he was a bold alpinist known for climbing fast and light, an ascetic philosophy I live by.
late 19th century: from French alpiniste, from alpin (see alpine).
More definitions of alpinistDefinition of alpinist in:
- The British & World English dictionary