(also alsike clover)
Definition of alsike in English:
A tall clover that is widely grown for fodder. Native to Europe, it has become naturalized in North America.
- Trifolium hybridum, family Leguminosae
- A cool and moist environment is ideal for alsike clover growth; it has poor heat and drought tolerance.
- Hay or pasture containing a large percentage of alsike clover is generally not recommended for horses.
- As a precaution alsike clover should not be fed to horses in amounts greater than 5% of the feed.
mid 19th century: named after Alsike in Sweden; Linnaeus mentions the plant growing there.
Definition of alsike in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia