(also alsike clover)
Definition of alsike in English:
A tall clover that is widely grown for fodder. Native to Europe, it has become naturalized in North America.
- Trifolium hybridum, family Leguminosae
- A cool and moist environment is ideal for alsike clover growth; it has poor heat and drought tolerance.
- Hay or pasture containing a large percentage of alsike clover is generally not recommended for horses.
- As a precaution alsike clover should not be fed to horses in amounts greater than 5% of the feed.
Mid 19th century: named after Alsike in Sweden; Linnaeus mentions the plant growing there.
Definition of alsike in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.