Definition of altazimuth in English:
1 (also altazimuth mount or mounting) Astronomy A telescope mounting that moves in azimuth (about a vertical axis) and in altitude (about a horizontal axis). Compare with equatorial mount.
- The Dobsonian design is the most popular type of altazimuth mounting used on astronomical telescopes.
- Scopes with altazimuth mounts are easy to set up and use, and require no special expertise to use properly.
- Even with this disadvantage, the altazimuth mounting will be the primary mounting for very large telescopes to be constructed in the future.
1.1 (also altazimuth telescope) A telescope on an altazimuth mounting.
- Of course, everything below about 80 degrees altitude was very easy to find; all altazimuth telescopes have this quirk.
- A lot of my variables are near bright stars or distinctive star patterns; thus easy to find with my noncomputerized altazimuth telescope or binoculars.
- All are fully-steerable altazimuth telescopes capable of pointing and tracking over zenith angles from 1 to 60 degrees.
Definition of altazimuth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan