Definition of alternate in English:
- In the wards indigenous hammocks alternate with traditional hospital beds.
- In some ways it's a mess of a film, in which the dramatic face-offs alternate with TV sitcom brawling.
- What's more, they discovered, El Nino has a sister phenomenon, La Nina, a period of unusually cold waters that seemed to alternate with El Nino.
- Once both players have made their selections they alternate turns revealing their top card and performing the corresponding action.
- My prescription was tapered off so that I was alternating days of full dosage, half dosage.
- Condition by alternating between running and mountain biking at least 3 miles a week.
- Every second window has been screwed closed, with alternate windows to be opened periodically to aerate the interior.
- My second and third exercises are dumbbell preacher curls and seated alternate dumbbell curls, and again I supinate or pronate appropriately.
- My father took me to the Marina every alternate day and buried me hip deep in the sand.
- The former Turk deftly slid in front of me, eyes shadowed, face thrown into alternate patterns of light and dark.
- The behaviors of binging and then purging are often performed in secrecy, and are accompanied by alternate feelings of shame followed by relief.
- The alternate North and South checkerboard pattern widen the blood vessels to increase blood circulation to the affected area and increase lymphatic flow.
- Ulmus pumila is a woody species with monopodial branching and alternate leaves.
- The upright stems have many, alternate, pinnately compound leaves with sharply toothed or lacerate leaflets.
- Although the shapes of mums vary depending on their species, they usually have stems sporting multi-branches with alternate leaves.
- Now obviously things might go quite differently in our universe than I conjecture, and they might have gone quite differently in the alternate universe.
- In this case, we were sitting there for over fifteen minutes until one-by-one, cars began swinging into U-turns to backtrack to an alternate route.
- We plotted our methods of evasion like we were planning a covert military operation, carefully mapping out alternate routes of entry and exit.
- Not only that, but if your ex-wife is named as your executor or trustee, she will be ineligible to serve, and the person named as the alternate will serve.
- In the drawing for the eighth position, three alternates will be selected to substitute for any qualified driver who may be unable to compete.
- Originally the first alternate for the vault final, Tsiopoulous was substituted for Russia's Anton Golutsutskov and won the gold with two dynamic vaults.
early 16th century(earlier ( late Middle English) as alternation): from Latin alternat- 'done by turns', from alternare, from alternus 'every other', from alter 'other, the other'.
- Example sentences
- The night zoomed by, with the DJ alternately filling and then emptying the floor with his choice of music.
- By alternately stretching and compressing abdominal muscles, it improves the blood supply to the internal organs.
- This dish consisted of thick slices of yam arranged alternately, sandwich-style, with slices of thick pork.
- Example sentences
- As though imbued with a Zen sensibility, her art develops its images through a calibrated alternation between speed and patience, disclosure and silence.
- Extensive alternations and improvements have been carried out at Worsley during the last year.
- Maazel continued to handle deftly his musicians, bringing out in alternation the warmth and the severity of the strings in the fourth movement, presto.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.