Definition of alternate in English:
- In the wards indigenous hammocks alternate with traditional hospital beds.
- In some ways it's a mess of a film, in which the dramatic face-offs alternate with TV sitcom brawling.
- What's more, they discovered, El Nino has a sister phenomenon, La Nina, a period of unusually cold waters that seemed to alternate with El Nino.
- Once both players have made their selections they alternate turns revealing their top card and performing the corresponding action.
- My prescription was tapered off so that I was alternating days of full dosage, half dosage.
- Condition by alternating between running and mountain biking at least 3 miles a week.
- Every second window has been screwed closed, with alternate windows to be opened periodically to aerate the interior.
- My second and third exercises are dumbbell preacher curls and seated alternate dumbbell curls, and again I supinate or pronate appropriately.
- My father took me to the Marina every alternate day and buried me hip deep in the sand.
- The former Turk deftly slid in front of me, eyes shadowed, face thrown into alternate patterns of light and dark.
- The behaviors of binging and then purging are often performed in secrecy, and are accompanied by alternate feelings of shame followed by relief.
- The alternate North and South checkerboard pattern widen the blood vessels to increase blood circulation to the affected area and increase lymphatic flow.
- Ulmus pumila is a woody species with monopodial branching and alternate leaves.
- The upright stems have many, alternate, pinnately compound leaves with sharply toothed or lacerate leaflets.
- Although the shapes of mums vary depending on their species, they usually have stems sporting multi-branches with alternate leaves.
- Now obviously things might go quite differently in our universe than I conjecture, and they might have gone quite differently in the alternate universe.
- In this case, we were sitting there for over fifteen minutes until one-by-one, cars began swinging into U-turns to backtrack to an alternate route.
- We plotted our methods of evasion like we were planning a covert military operation, carefully mapping out alternate routes of entry and exit.
- Not only that, but if your ex-wife is named as your executor or trustee, she will be ineligible to serve, and the person named as the alternate will serve.
- In the drawing for the eighth position, three alternates will be selected to substitute for any qualified driver who may be unable to compete.
- Originally the first alternate for the vault final, Tsiopoulous was substituted for Russia's Anton Golutsutskov and won the gold with two dynamic vaults.
See alternative (usage).
Early 16th century(earlier ( late Middle English) as alternation): from Latin alternat- 'done by turns', from alternare, from alternus 'every other', from alter 'other, the other'.
Words that rhyme with alternateconsternate • Italianate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.