Definition of alto-relievo in English:
noun (plural alto-relievos)Sculpture
1 another term for high relief at relief (sense 4).
- The scenic front is not pictorially decorated but is composed of a metal coating and a bronze alto-relievo sculpture located in a black recess.
- The Trent Tile Company made a specialty of dull-finished or ‘Trent finished’ tiles in alto-relievo, which are treated by the sand-blast process after being glazed.
- I have lately seen a new alto-relievo model of Scotland brought out by Messrs William Martin & Co.,. of 67 West Nile Street, Glasgow.
1.1A sculpture or carving in high relief.
- On the chapel walls there are alto-relievos with the ‘Life of Saint Anthony’.
- The best artists have vied with each other in carving the alto-relievos of the arcade, which, for design and execution, would do honour to the sculptors of antiquity.
- However, there are a good crop of busts, alto-relievos and full figures from the 17th, 18th and mostly early 19th centuries.
Mid 17th century: from Italian alto-rilievo.
Definition of alto-relievo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan