Definition of alto-relievo in English:
noun (plural alto-relievos)Sculpture
1 another term for high relief at relief (sense 4.
- The scenic front is not pictorially decorated but is composed of a metal coating and a bronze alto-relievo sculpture located in a black recess.
- The Trent Tile Company made a specialty of dull-finished or ‘Trent finished’ tiles in alto-relievo, which are treated by the sand-blast process after being glazed.
- I have lately seen a new alto-relievo model of Scotland brought out by Messrs William Martin & Co.,. of 67 West Nile Street, Glasgow.
1.1A sculpture or carving in high relief.
- On the chapel walls there are alto-relievos with the ‘Life of Saint Anthony’.
- The best artists have vied with each other in carving the alto-relievos of the arcade, which, for design and execution, would do honour to the sculptors of antiquity.
- However, there are a good crop of busts, alto-relievos and full figures from the 17th, 18th and mostly early 19th centuries.
Mid 17th century: from Italian alto-rilievo.
Definition of alto-relievo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.