Definition of altricial in English:
1(Of a young bird or other animal) hatched or born in an undeveloped state and requiring care and feeding by the parents. Also called nidicolous. Often contrasted with precocial.
- The altricial chicks are fed primarily insects, beetle larvae, grasshoppers, spiders and small lizards.
- After hatching, the altricial nestlings are brooded for 1 to 2 weeks depending on the weather.
- Their altricial cubs are born in mid-winter, with their eyes closed, and weighing only about 0.6 kg.
1.1(Of a particular species) having altricial young.
- In altricial birds the chicks depend entirely on their parents for food and protection.
- In altricial species, the parents of hungry nestlings may be helped in feeding and guarding their young by other adult birds who have not bred that year.
- Moreover, chicks of precocial species generally require less parental care than those of altricial species.
Late 19th century: from Latin altrix, altric-, feminine of altor 'nourisher', from alere 'nourish'.
Definition of altricial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan