noun (plural alulae /-yəˌlē/)
- technical term for bastard wing.More example sentences
- Although the alula is absent, the third finger probably had the same function in controlling separation of the upper surface airflow.
- Yearlings in the study were identified in the hand by the olivegreen (rather than blue) edges of their alulae and primary coverts.
- It has pure white body feathers except for the black alulae, primary techrices and primary remiges.
late 18th century: modern Latin, literally 'small wing', diminutive of ala.
More definitions of alulaDefinition of alula in:
- The British & World English dictionary