A white solid, aluminum oxide, that occurs in bauxite and is found in crystalline form as the main constituent of corundum, sapphire, and other minerals.
- Aluminum oxide; chemical formula: Al2O3
More example sentences
- The silica, alumina, and iron come from sand, clay, and iron ore.
- The major exports are bauxite, alumina, gold, and diamonds.
- Already some sites yield little more than a mass of crystallised aluminium oxide.
late 18th century: from Latin alumen (see alum1), on the pattern of words such as magnesia.
Definition of alumina in:
- The British & World English dictionary