noun (plural alumni /-nī, -nē/)
- A graduate or former student, especially male, of a particular school, college, or university: a Harvard alumnusMore example sentences
- Most of us probably do not read our undergraduate alumni magazines very carefully.
- Being an alumnus at the helm of a small, private college has been both a blessing and a challenge.
- A successful alumna or alumnus could turn a student's decision in the direction of physics.
mid 17th century: from Latin, 'nursling, pupil', from alere 'nourish'.
In the singular, alumnus nearly always means a male, but the plural alumni usually refers to graduates or former students of either sex. See also alumna.
More definitions of alumnusDefinition of alumnus in:
- The British & World English dictionary