Definition of alveolar in English:
1Of or relating to an alveolus, in particular.
- It has been reported that bone loss affects the jaw bones (particularly the alveolar bone).
- Many investigators believe that the tumor arises from bronchiolar or alveolar epithelium.
- The respiratory bronchiole branches to form alveolar ducts.
1.1 Anatomy Relating to or denoting the bony ridge that contains the sockets of the upper teeth.
- The tooth roots are attached to the surrounding alveolar bone of the tooth socket.
- They occur almost exclusively along the alveolar ridge of the maxilla in white female newborns.
- Children with cleft palates often have an alveolar ridge defect.
1.2 Phonetics (Of a consonant) pronounced with the tip of the tongue on or near this ridge (e.g., n, s, t).
- Some years ago it was pointed out to me that when I'm trying to be very precise in talking about linguistics, I use dental rather than alveolar articulations for consonants.
- Hebrew and Arabic use dentalized t, d, th, etc., while English makes the sounds farther back at the alveolar ridge.
- It must be rigid enough to promote near zero surface tensions during the alveolar compression.
1.3 Anatomy Of or relating to an alveolus or the alveoli of the lung.
- To quantify the alveolar injuries, we measured radial alveolar count in lung tissue at each time point.
- Alveolar number was closely related to total lung volume whereas alveolar size was not.
- This growth factor is abundantly expressed in many different lung cells, including alveolar macrophages and type II cells.
nounPhonetics Back to top
An alveolar consonant.
- Given that both soft and hard alveolars (‘t’ and ‘d') are used in Punjabi, their representation in the new script would constitute the most baffling problem.
- The bare letters's', 't', 'n', 'l', etc. cannot be assumed to specifically represent alveolars.
- Both the /s/ and /z/ sounds are alveolars, articulated in the same place in the vocal cavity
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan